Koppert Larvanem Vine Weevil Killer
A nematode species that targets the larvae of various species of beetle, such as vine weevil. Larvanem contains a special strain of Heterorhabditis bacteriophora, for more than 25 years, this parasitic nematode has been the top product used to combat vine weevil. This biological approach to combating vine weevil is most effective because it attacks the larvae, this is the only proven way to fully eradicate vine weevil.
How does Larvanem work?
After application, the nematodes actively search for their prey and penetrate them. The nematodes feed on the contents of the prey, excreting specific bacteria from their digestive tracts as they do so. These bacteria convert host tissue into products that the nematodes can easily ingest. The larvae die within a few days.
The below infographic is designed to inform the user as to the life stage of the organism throughout the year.
Visible effects: Affected larvae turn pink-red or even brown.
|LARVANEM||preventive||light curative||heavy curative|
- The moisture content of the soil must be high
- Soil temperature between 14 and 33°C
- Nematodes are susceptible to ultraviolet light (UV): do not use them in direct sunlight
- Leaf applications should only be carried out in the evening to minimise the influence of UV light and to maximize moisture availability for the nematodes
- Larvanem can be applied by watering can, sprinkler, backpack spray unit or vehicle-mounted spray unit, trickle irrigation
- Take stock of nematodes 1-2 weeks prior to forecast application period to facilitate application in optimum circumstances.
- Apply when soil temperatures are warm (above 14 °C) and moist.
- Apply 5-10 mm water to the turf the evening before treatment.
- Subsequently apply 5 mm of water 1-2 hours before treatment.
- Aerate the soil immediately prior to application with a sarel roller to ease nematode transition into soil contact.
- Apply Entomopathogenic Nematodes 4-5 weeks post adult emergence.
- Apply early in the morning, in the evening or on a cloudy day as the nematodes will be killed by UV light.
- Apply when rain fall is forecast.
- Remove all filters from the sprayer, these can be within the lance handle or top hat filters at the nozzle or alternatively in filter bowls within pipes after the pump.
- Ensure that the sprayer is completely clean.
- Apply with a penetrant wetting agent to enable more efficient passage into the soil.
- It is important that the nematodes are delivered into contact with the soil as quickly as possible, excessive thatch within the turf sward will inhibit the nematodes passage into the soil.
- Half fill the sprayer with clean water.
- Put the contents of the pack into a bucket containing 5 litres of water (15-20 °C).
- Stir well and allow to soak for 20-30 seconds.
- Stir well once again and poor the entire solution into the spray tank.
- Top up until the required amount of solution is in the tank.
- Spray immediately after preparation over a wet surface. Maximum (12 bar pressure).
- Use the whole pack in one go, as the distribution of nematodes in the pack is not homogenous.
- Immediately after applying, water the grass area well (at least 2-5 litres per m²) so the nematodes are washed into the soil to reach the roots where the pests will be.
- Ensure the turf area does not dry out after applying nematodes. If necessary, keep the area well-watered for at least two weeks.
|Localised Spot Treatment
With Watering Can
|Broad Application To
a Large Area
To aid the efficiency of the nematodes into the soil profile, apply with Aqua-Zorb 45 Wetting Agent.
We do not sell this product during the period when the larvae are not susceptible to control using nematodes.
Larvanem Vine Weevil Killer must be used within 3-4 weeks of being received, keep refrigerated until used. Pitchcare Ireland is not liable for any loss of quality if the product is stored for longer than recommended and/or under incorrect conditions.
- If Larvanem is ordered by 09.00 hours on a Thursday, they will be delivered to you by the end of the following week.
For further information on Larvanem Vine Weevil Killer, please contact a member of our technical sales team on +353 1 841 7399.